Refuse & Landscape Waste Services
The Village’s contracted waste/landscaping hauler is Republic Services. (For buildings with more than 3 units, you must have your own scavenger service.) All garbage must be placed in a garbage bin. Each residence is issued one free bin. If you need an additional bin or if you have any questions about what debris is acceptable for pick-up, please contact Republic Services at 847-981-0091.
The dates below are the only holidays when garbage will NOT be picked up. If a holiday falls on a Wednesday, garbage pick-up for everyone in the Village will be the next day after their normal pick-up day. If a holiday falls on a Thursday and your normal garbage pick-up is on a Thursday or Friday, your garbage will be picked up the next day. If a holiday falls on a Friday and your normal garbage pick-up day is on Friday, your garbage will be picked up on Saturday.
The above scheduling changes apply to the following holidays only:
New Year’s Day
Independence Day (Fourth of July)
Large Bulk Waste
For residents who live in a single family home or up to a 3-flat building, you are eligible to get rid of one large bulk item per week on your normal garbage pick-up day at no extra charge. Examples of bulk items include mattresses, furniture, and large appliances. When disposing of mattresses, it would be helpful to wrap them in plastic for safe disposal. When getting rid of items like chairs or sofas, simply leave them assembled. When disposing of large appliances such as refrigerators or washing machines, please remove their doors. If you have a number of large boxes to dispose of, they need to be broken down flat, bundled up to 2ft wide - 4ft long, and weigh no more than 50lbs. per bundle.
If you have many large items that you want/need to get rid of at one time, you can contact Republic Services to schedule a pick-up at an additional cost to you.
Yard Waste Pick-up
Yard waste pick-up runs from April 1st through November 30th. Yard waste is to be set out on your normal garbage pick-up day in either a paper yard-waste bag or in a 30-35 gallon plastic garbage container (purchased by the homeowner) with a ‘yard waste’ sticker on it from the Village. Stickers are available at the Village Hall at no cost.
In the case of brush, it is to be bundled not weighing more than 50 lbs. and no longer than 4 feet in length. All grass clippings, garden waste, tree trimmings, and leaves that are properly set out in a bin or bags will be taken on your normal garbage day.
Whole trees, stumps, sod, dirt, rocks, and tree limbs over 2" in diameter will not be taken. Also, yard waste produced by a landscaper will not be taken.
It is against Village ordinance to sweep, rake, or place leaves in the gutter for pick-up by the street sweeper. Violators may be cited for violating this ordinance.
In keeping with the Village's desire to help the environment, we have an ongoing curbside recycling program. Each residence is issued one free bin. Pick-up is every other week on your normal garbage pick-up day. Check the Village annual calendar for a list of recycle weeks - or click here.
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with Republic Services' brochure which lists items that can or cannot be recycled. If you have any questions or need an additional cart, contact Republic Services at (847) 981- 0091.
All Recycling Materials May Be Commingled in a Village-Issued Recycling Cart
- Aluminum Cans, Trays & Foil (trays & foil must be cleaned)
- Steel Cans & Tins
- Aseptic Packaging & Gable Top Containers (milk & juice cartons)
- Glass Bottles and Jars - (clear, brown, green), no window glass, dinnerware or ceramics
- PET Soda, Water, & Flavored Beverage Bottles (#1 clear and green plastic resin)
- HDPE Milk & Juice Jugs (#2 clear plastic resin)
- HDPE Detergent & Fabric Softener Containers (#2 colored plastic resin)
- PVC Narrow Neck Containers Only (#3 plastic resin): such as health & beauty aid products, household cleaners
- LDPE Grocery Containers (#4 plastic resin): such as margarine tubs, frozen desert cups, six and twelve pack rings.
- PP Grocery Containers (#5 plastic resin): such as yogurt cups, and narrow neck syrup and ketchup bottles
- #7 APlastic Resin Narrow Neck Containers Only
- Plastic Buckets, such as kitty litter containers (5 gallon size maximum) no metal handles
- All containers should be emptied and rinsed clean
- No motor oil, insecticide, herbicide, or hazardous chemical containers
- Plastic bags should be returned to the grocery or department store
- No plastic film (no plastic sheets, tarps, or wrap)
- Expanded foam and clear polystyrene not accepted per joint advisory from the Illinois Recycling Association, Illinois Department of Commerce & Community Affairs, and Region 5 US Environmental Protection Agency
- Newspaper, including inserts (remove plastic sleeves)
- Cardboard (no waxed cardboard)
- Kraft (brown paper) bags
- Magazines, Catalogs, and Telephone Books
- Office, Computer, Notebook, & Gift Wrap Paper (no metal clips, spirals, binders)
- Chipboard (cereal, cake & food mix boxes, shoe boxes, etc.)
- Carrier Stock (soda & beer can carrying cases)
- Junk Mail & Envelopes (no plastic cards, stick on labels or unused stamps)
- Paper Back Books (no hard cover books)